Friday 29 April 2011

Pictures Are Worth a Thousand Words

As I walked through the mall and came to the camera store, I smiled thinking of all the good pictures and bad pictures I've taken over the years. All the good and bad pictures I've seen from others and marvelled at how small a camera can be now a days.

In 1981 I bought my first camera. A Cannon AE1 SLR, a big heavy manual camera that I thought was going to make me the next Peter Parker. Not the super part the good photographer part. I was keen to learn and did a lot of reading about lighting, aperature settings, focus, etc. I had a lot of fun for a few years, but my daughter was born in 1984 so priorities quickly change. I lost interest, I stopped seeing real beauty in things, I stopped seeing color etc. Last Christmas my husband wanted to buy me whole new gear, he must of known something I didn't at that time because I still wasn't really interested.

Lately my interest has peeked again. Maybe because of facebook, twitter etc. people are posting more pictures, changing their profile pics and uploading pics for others to see whether using Instagram or the many other tools out there. But I think what has really grabbed me are the incredible pictures I have seen  from friends.  Brandi P. shows me a picture and I read a thousand words from it. A clear and vivid story is always presented in her shots.  Marietta B. a friend from Germany has the eye for design and clarity in her shots that make me say "wow" for each and every one of them.

I again see the beauty in black and white and color is vivid seeing a million different hues. I realize the people who can tell me a 1000 word story from their pictures have a talent I may never know, but there is starting to be a slowly rising desire to try.  I would be happy with a 1 word descriptive for my pictures for now and one day I hope a thousand words describes what I see through the lens of my body mind and soul as I journey to create my life and refind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment