Thursday 21 March 2013

Moving On....



Last Thursday I took my dad to a seniors assisted living apartment complex to check out what he thought of the place. My dad is still living in the same house that he and my mom bought in 1960.  The house isn’t that big and I still wonder how 7 people managed to live together under one roof. 

My dad has a lot of memories from that house but its time to move on. Of course the decision to move out of the house had to be my dads. We knew when he was ready he would let us know and boy he let us know loud and clear. He is ready to sell and start a new adventure!

Hence the journey begins, helping my dad find a new place. He wanted to stay in the general area of the city that he knows very well. That comfort level of being near “his” bank, grocery store and shopping center is so important. 

So off to Dakota House we went.  From the moment we walked in the door (after I figured out how the intercom system worked doh!) my dad felt a wave of comfort.
The lady we met with and toured us around was informative, friendly and said all the right things! The dining room was huge, menu looked delicious and the special touches around the amenities and taking care of the owners and guests needs were terrific.

The multi purpose room was in use as a local high school drama club practiced their play to a very appreciative audience. The social calendar was filled with trips and events that made me exhausted just looking at it.

The apartments were a perfect size with all the amenities my dad would ever need. The front desk staff offered a few more tidbits, the solariums at the end of the halls filled with exercise equipment or puzzles or books or just a place to sit and reflect were perfect!

I have to admit I’m not used to being around so many seniors at one time, I was having a seniors overload! My dad, well he was in his glory. He said he felt like the place had a hotel atmosphere, loved all the social aspects and couldn’t wait to put his name on the waiting list. So we did!

My dad does want to look at another place he is familiar with so this week we take another trip to check out a second option, but if Dakota House called next week with a vacancy my dad would jump at it! 

When I called my dad last night to chat and ask what he was doing, he told me cleaning up. After all you never know when he might get that call to move. So the sorting, giving away, throwing out, cleaning getting the house ready to sell has begun. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen my dad so excited about something. He is like a kid waiting for Santa. 

One thing is for sure, the anticipation of moving, leaving the past and walking into the unknown future has awakened his body, mind and soul! 


Let the next chapter begin! 



No comments:

Post a Comment